Have you just had a baby? Congratulations! You are probably now wondering how best to take care of yourself and your little one after giving birth.
You’ve probably heard about confinement practices. They are traditional systems of postnatal care that help mothers recover from childbirth and bond with their babies. Confinement practices vary from culture to culture. However, generally speaking, they usually involve following a special diet, avoiding certain activities, and getting plenty of rest.
In Malaysia, confinement practices are influenced by Chinese, Malay, and Indian cultures. Some common confinement practices in Malaysia include:
- Eating confinement food, which is a diet that is designed to help replenish blood loss, boost milk supply, and prevent infections.
- Staying indoors and avoiding exposure to cold or wind, which are believed to cause health problems such as joint pain, headaches, and rheumatism.
- Avoiding bathing or washing hair for a certain period of time, which is believed to prevent colds and infections. Some mothers use herbal water or vinegar water to clean themselves instead.
- Getting massages or wraps, which are believed to help relax the muscles, improve blood circulation, and reduce swelling.
- Having a confinement lady or nanny, who is an experienced person who helps the mother with cooking, cleaning, baby care, and other tasks.
Why choose a confinement centre?
So why should you even go to a confinement centre in the first place?
While some women choose to follow confinement practices at home with the help of their family members or friends, others prefer to stay at a confinement center. Confinement centres are facilities that provide professional postnatal care for mothers and babies.
A confinement centre can offer many benefits for mothers who want to have a comfortable and hassle-free confinement experience. Some of these benefits are:
- Having access to medical services and experts like doctors, nurses, midwives, and lactation consultants. A confinement centre can also handle any emergencies or complications that may arise during the confinement period.
- Having access to wellness programs and activities, such as postnatal classes, newborn checkups, yoga sessions, spa treatments, and hairdressing services. This can help mothers with their physical and mental well-being during the confinement period.
- Having access to delicious and healthy food that is prepared by dietitians and chefs according to the mother’s preferences and needs.
- Having access to comfortable and cozy rooms that are equipped with amenities such as air-conditioners, heaters, TVs, Wi-Fi, refrigerators, and baby cots.
How to Choose a Confinement Centre in Malaysia
There are many factors that you should consider when choosing a confinement centre. Here are some of them:
- Location: You should choose a confinement centre that is convenient for you and your family members to visit. Consider traffic conditions and the distance from your home or hospital as well.
- Reputation: Choose a confinement centre that has a good reputation and track record in providing quality postnatal care. Check the reviews and testimonials from previous customers or visit the centre personally to see for yourself.
- License: Go for a confinement centre that is registered under KKM (Ministry of Health) or MBIP (Municipal Council) license to ensure that it meets the standards and regulations for postnatal care.
- Facilities: You should choose a confinement centre that has adequate facilities and equipment for you and your baby’s comfort and safety. Don’t forget to also check the cleanliness and hygiene of the centre.
- Services: Go for a centre that offers the services that you need or want during your confinement period. Check the prices and packages and compare them with other centres.
- Staff: Use a centre that has qualified and friendly staff who can take care of you and your baby professionally and compassionately.
Confinement centres are essential facilities that provide professional postnatal care for mothers and babies who want to have a comfortable and hassle-free confinement experience. As we have seen, there are many benefits of staying at a good confinement centre. If you have been wondering how to go about finding a reliable and comfortable confinement centre in Malaysia, well, now you know. Hopefully, with the tips and tricks outlined here, finding one that will meet all your needs won’t be difficult. We wish you all the best for your confinement journey!
Browse through our directory of confinement centres: HERE